If you suffer from dry, cracked skin, have conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or atopic dermatitis, or need a remedy for a sunburn, colloidal oatmeal will be your best friend. Colloidal oatmeal is one of the gentlest skincare ingredients out there!
The benefits of colloidal oatmeal include containing antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory - it even helps prevent and treat breakouts. If you are looking for skincare for sensitive skin or want to know why colloidal oatmeal works so well, below we go over what precisely colloidal oatmeal is, the benefits, and which ingredients and products are best alongside it.
What is colloidal oatmeal?
Colloidal oatmeal is ground into a fine powder from whole oats that dissolves in water. While the oatmeal we typically eat is ground down less. "Colloidal" refers to a mixture of insoluble particles of one substance mixed with another.
When making colloidal oatmeal, the fine powder is mixed with a liquid base to make a salve to apply to the skin. In addition, colloidal oats contain nourishing and hydrating fatty acids, lipids, enzymes, proteins, and Vitamin E that soothe tone and moisturize the skin.
Further, colloidal oatmeal is most famous for mild skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis, dry skin, chicken pox, psoriasis, and eczema. One thing to note, colloidal oatmeal does not officially heal the skin of these skin concerns.
Colloidal oatmeal protects skin from environmental irritants and locks in moisture, giving the skin time to rehydrate and soothe cracked skin. Unfortunately, these skin conditions are not entirely treatable. But you can relieve and prevent further irritation by utilizing and implementing nourishing ingredients and products for your skin.
Benefits of colloidal oatmeal
The benefits of colloidal oatmeal are numerous! Colloidal oatmeal helps to cleanse, tone, hydrate, and brighten the skin and contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The anti-inflammatory property of colloidal oatmeal balances the skin's natural pH levels, soothes irritated skin and redness, while antioxidants fight off free radicals in the environment. Free radicals are pollutants around you that cause damage to the skin's barrier, resulting in wrinkles, fine lines, and blemishes.
More specifically, a group of antioxidants named "avenanthramides" found in oats reduces swelling and inflammation and serves as a gentle exfoliating agent! What does this mean? Colloidal oatmeal helps clear the skin of excess oils and debris alongside soothing irritations.
Moreover, colloidal oatmeal is safe for children, adults, and pets. Many child-safe treatments, such as moisturizers, diaper creams, and other bath products, contain colloidal oatmeal due to its gentle and hydrating properties. However, the best products are cruelty-free, vegan, and Leaping Bunny Certified. Luckily, Flora & Noor checks all these boxes and utilizes halal-certified ingredients (permissible for Muslims to use)!
By implementing ingredients and botanicals that are 100% vegan, cruelty-free, and halal-certified, all Flora & Noor products are perfect for everyone and all skin types. Especially for those who have eczema prone skin and similar concerns, Flora & Noor contains the ideal skincare to soothe irritated skin.
Are there side effects of colloidal oatmeal?
There are rarely side effects when applying colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is a highly gentle emollient (substances that soften and moisten the skin) that very infrequently irritates. Although, it is always best to be cautious if you know or have a possibility of having an allergy to oats and oatmeal. It is best to consult your dermatologist if you suspect you have allergy concerns before applying new products to your skin.
Additionally, several other factors may cause breakouts and acne. Colloidal oatmeal is a very gentle and mild cleanser and exfoliant. Thus, other ingredients or products in your routine may be a factor for the surprising reasons you're breaking out.
Which colloidal oatmeal products are best?
Flora & Noor's Oatmeal & Shea Body Butter is perfect for dry, chapped skin concerns. It contains Vitamin E, helps protect skin cells from damage, helps prevent skin from losing moisture, and softens the skin. The Oatmeal & Shea Body Butter also contains Vitamin A, which helps speed up skin cell healing, prevent breakouts, and balances sebum production.
In addition, it contains antioxidants, which soothe and hydrates the skin and has anti-aging properties that give the skin a smoother and brighter appearance. The key ingredients the Oatmeal & Shea Body Butter contains are:
- Mango butter – cleanses the skin's surface of impurities and unclogs pores. Also, it absorbs into the skin quickly, moisturizing deep layers with Vitamins A, E, and C and nutrient-rich omegas. Additionally, mango butter reduces wrinkles and fine lines because it contains Vitamin A, an antioxidant that stimulates skin cell renewal!
- Shea butter - is an emollient that conditions, tones, and soothes the skin. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that pacify concerns like eczema and sunburns and heal cuts or scraps due to containing fatty acids that soften scar tissues. Thus, speeding up the healing process.
- Grapeseed oil – moisturizes and evens the skin tone. Further, grapeseed oil contains antimicrobial properties, thus treating and preventing future breakouts and acne.
- Organic Kokum butter – contains moisturizing properties and is non-comedogenic (like all the ingredients in this list). Furthermore, kokum butter is light and absorbs into the skin quickly, most known for its non-greasy formula.
The Oatmeal & Shea Body Butter is nourishing, soothing, vegan, and cruelty-free. It is perfect for those of all ages who suffer from dry skin and severe skin concerns, making it the most soothing product for the body!
Additional colloidal oatmeal products
Another beneficial and nutritious product that contains colloidal oatmeal is the Shea Sugar Scrub by Flora & Noor. This body scrub uncovers brighter, glowing skin by gently removing dead skin cells, unclogging pores, and moisturizing dehydrated skin.
Additionally, the Shea Sugar Scrub contains colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, organic sugar crystals, kukui nut oil, sunflower seed oil, and more hydrating and feel-good ingredients to moisturize and rejuvenate dull and dry skin.
As a bonus, exfoliating your skin with the Shea Sugar Scrub and following with the Oatmeal & Shea Body Butter will nourish your skin with all the beneficial ingredients it needs to be supple and silky-smooth! Both products will rehydrate and soothe your dry skin by containing antioxidants such as Vitamins A, C, and E, rich flavonoids and carotenoids, anti-inflammatory properties, and more.
- Colloidal oatmeal works to soothe irritated skin for all skin types and concerns. It is one of the gentlest skincare ingredients, perfect for those with skin conditions such as eczema, blemishes, and even cuts or sunburns.
- Colloidal oatmeal contains antioxidants that hydrate and nourish skin and prevent further breakouts. Additionally, it prevents wrinkles and fine lines by promoting skin cell renewal. This results in supple, soft, and smoother skin.
- Furthermore, due to colloidal oatmeal's gentle and soothing properties, pairing it with other delicate and hydrating ingredients will make it a powerful, moisturizing ingredient in your regimen!
- Finally, Flora & Noor products such as the Oatmeal & Shea Body Butter and Shea Sugar Scrub are vegan, Leaping Bunny Certified, halal-certified, and cruelty-free, making both products perfect for everyone, especially those with sensitive skin concerns.